Thursday, February 13, 2014

Blog 15: Component 2 Approval

1. Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours.
  • For my thirty hours I still plan to use the Design and Construction Committee for my Independent Component hours. Although I do need to find other resources that will allow me to further my topic more in depth.
  • To further my research I happened to ask one of the Architects on the Design and Construction Committee for Habitat if he would recommend me to any eco-architecture programs. He had referred me to look on the AIA website (American Institute of Architects,) which will help me find a list of programs involved with sustainable designs.
  • In addition I would also like to visit certain organic designs and take a tour. My mentor Rachel had referred me to a building called the Audubon Center (is an off the grid site meaning they recycle their own water, produce their own energy, etc.) On this trips I will document certain organic details in each design that protein to my senior topic.
  • In addition I would like to apply my research on organic architecture by designing buildings that incorporate nature into their design on the drafting program called sketch-up.
2. Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectations of showing 30 hours of evidence.
  • For my 30 hour evidence I will continuously take pictures of occurring activities with Habitat for Humanity Design and Construction Committee. As well as take notes of events that occurred during meetings; in addition to collecting any documents that show proof of any particular committee meeting. Including screen-shots or pictures of sketch-up designs of my own applied organic architecture from research.
3. And explain how or what you will be doing will help you explore your topic more in depth.
  • Working hands on in a program that is an eco-friendly architecture firm would be a great hands on experience for me; since one of my answers for incorporating nature into a design is by establishing a sustainable building.
  • For the Design and Construction Committee I did get a chance to introduce myself to the leading Architect, Tom working on Pomona Valley Habitat's first Eco-Design. On the next meeting I will get to see first hand the design solutions for the green build, and discuss with him on how he went about finalizing his design solutions.
  • By visualizing real organic designs, it will help me establish a full design perspective on detailed organic features, rather than simply look up designs through a computer screen. On these trips I will sketch up certain building elements that help me to analysis minute details. I will document what elements make this design organic and what elements do not fall under organic.
  • By using the drafting program Sketch-up it will allow me to take my applied knowledge from my research and establish a model answer to my senior project. My three answers for incorporating nature into a design is by preserving the pre-existing site, observing and learning from nature, and eco-architecture. For each of these answers I will produce a design that fits specifically under each answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment