Friday, February 7, 2014

Blog 14: Independent Component 1

Literal:
  • "I, Cheyenne Capener, affirm that I have completed my Independent Component which represents 30 hours of my work."

  • Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component.
    • 2013 California Building Code. ICC: 2013. Print.

  • Explanation of what you completed. 
    • What I completed in the Design and Construction Committee was providing the committee with current information on up coming or current Habitat events. In addition I as well helped compile information for the Design and Construction Committee by note taking and presenting my found information on the City of Walnut's: room additions/remodeling and subdivisions: tentative tract/parcel maps to the CEO of Habitat for Humanity Jody; so that she make overlook my work and then submit the information to the assigned architect for the upcoming Green Build in the City of Walnut.
    • For my mentorship hours at ACE mentorship we have been currently working on a end of the year ACE competition design. Since we are the Pasadena Team our group was assigned to design a movie theater. Currently we have completed the floor design appropriately to a 1/16 scale to 1'. In addition we started to cover the interior design of each theater and how it might be layout and detailed. More recently we have constructed a mass model which is a quick 3-D architectural model showing the mass of our design. Once we get past the basic structural design we'll head into the structural, electrical, and air ducts components of our design; only after can we architectural detail our design using materials, etc. In the architectural detailing I am pushing for a more eco-friendly design as well as incorporating more nature into our design as well. Since I am thinking that one possible answer into incorporating nature into a design can be through the use of eco-friendly design plans, which I will be pushing/persuading my team members into seeing the benefits of the designing in and around nature.   
Interpretive:
  • Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.   Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work.  
    • What I am working on in my Independent Component from ACE mentorship demonstrates 30 hours of work, due to the fact that the project we are currently working on is a finished product of what we have learner over the past semester and a half. To explain this more in depth what we learned in scale, elevations, practical use of the design, and green design codes, we have all applied what we know to our current design by thinking through the design in a practical manner.
(This was my group and I cutting out the roof layout for our 3-D model, while using an exacto knife. At first many of my team members were scared to use the exacto knife because their fear of messing up the only roof layout copy. So in the end I wined up going first.)
(This picture is our land plot that we will be using on sketch-up for our theater design.)
(This picture is our finished product of our mass model.)
(This is a picture of the conference room that the Design and Construction Meeting meets in.)
(This is our Board Meeting Papers that discuss what our agenda is for that particular meeting and when our next meeting is coming up.)
(These are the Requirements for the City of Walnut packets that I was requested to read and report my information.)
 

    • For my meeting with the Design and Construction Committee with Habitat I have learned a great deal from the CEO of HFH since she has told me what it takes in order for a habitat build or any build to be a certified green design. Furthermore the process of green design is accounted for in points by how much eco-friendly materials are incorporated. By that standard your build is further inspected by a green rater who will analysis your building and give your building's certification: as either gold, silver, bronze (gold being the highest and bronze being the lowest.)
Applied:
  • Independent component helped me understand my senior topic more by educating in the process of getting an accredited green design. As I said above I would like to consider green-design as a possible answer for incorporating nature into my design by establish a sustainable design. One particular time I could remember learning a more in depth view on green design was during ACE mentorship when we went to a engineer firm called TTG. This particular company was working on becoming more sustainable with its design process, and had in the past engineered a few gold plated buildings in green design. Specifically this gold certified green design was on a community college police station up north, and this company wanted to emphasize their renewable way of thinking. The process to integrate green design into your firm is through a process of re-teaching your staff on the current design stasis of how to earn points for your green design.

No comments:

Post a Comment