Monday, September 30, 2013

ACE Mentorship: Pasadena Team's First Meet

 
On the 19th of September, I went to my new mentorship called ACE Mentorship for the first time! There I had the privilege of meeting several different licensed Architects and Engineers in the field. As each Mentor introduced themselves they gave a little back story of their education and career. One mentor that made a significant impact in her presentation was an Architect that specifically designed high schools. She showed us a video that overlooked her design of the school with a program known as Sketch Up. She also asked us questions to consider in the design, such as whether the school needs a library, gym, and specific arrangement of elements. Towards the end of the meeting, the class was split into different groups. I was assigned to a retired Architect named Don, who I later found out that he actually was on the design team for constructing the Getty Museum. In our conversation I had explained to him that the Getty had actually looked as if it were on a grid plain. In response, he had explained that he had never actually worked with a grid plain design until the Getty. All in all, I had an exciting experience getting to meet Don and listening to the other Engineers' and Architects' backgrounds. What I would take from this experience, is seeing and knowing exactly how each ACE mentor got through their education and where they presently are in their career, and apply it to my education, career, and life.

1 comment: