Monday, August 19, 2013

Summer Mentorship Component

Literal: 
 

2. Dennis Tierney (626) 945-0033
Adress: 8543 Hamilton ST, Rancho Cucamunga CA 91701

3. Question that Arose
  • What materials will I need to familiarize myself with, and there uses    in order to properly use them correctly?
  • In order to be independently employed and financially stable, how should I budget my construction supplies in order for myself to have enough material while making a profitable income?
  • If an unknown problem arises like a rotting wall, how will I cover myself for unseen problems in my budget?
  • How would I manage my time properly and logically in order to effectively and efficiently get a construction site done in good quality by the deadline?
  • Will I need people skills in order to communicate my point across to engineer, architects, clients or simply getting a license or permit approved?
 Interpretive:

4.
 Having the opportunity to join Habitat for Humanity on the proactive side of actually building houses, was and still is a great opportunity. This experience gave me an in sight in the future career path I was seeking, and allowed me self discovery. As a result, even though I was given the tools and knowledge to cock a cabinet, level out ground and layout a certain ratio of manuer to top soil; finding myself was important to me in terms of my future goals. As the days of my mentorship prolonged, questions arose of if I really would like working along side a construction cite. Although it was not the labor that changed my mind but the fact that I felt like I wanted to express the idea of forming a structure.

Applied:

5.
 Originally I had wanted to construct buildings hands on yet I realized how much I enjoy thinking outside the box; coming up with analytical ideas of how to utilize space and design. My summer mentorship allowed myself to come across the field of Architecture. One day at the construction cite I had met the Architect who had made the blue prints for the house. Once getting the chance to meet him gave me the opportunity to ask him questions on his job. Turned out he got his BA in Art, and he had employed himself as an Architect for a side job since he was in his twenties. He explained to me his job, and I asked him what he liked most about his job. For short he told me the potential of space and how to utilize it in a modern way. In a way it prompted me to view Architecture differently, and made me open minded to my environment and look around at all the buildings in my area. Questioning how or what motivated a person to detail or construct a house or building to its unique network. In all I am grateful for my summer mentorship because I don't feel it as a waste of time but rather a self- discovery that allowed me to be in tuned with my surroundings and inspire me to envision and create new and modern structures as an Architect to benefit my community.  
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment